Tuesday 25 February 2014

I *CAN* Go The Distance!

Oh man, I can remember the hours I spent on this game!

So a while ago I got it in to my head that I would love it if I could run 5k at Disney.  I don't know why, I guess it's because as much as I hate running, I do feel a massive sense of achievement every time I make it through a 5k jog.  Even more so now, with life getting in the way, and recovering from some agonising pelvic girdle pain which is still lingering slightly from my last pregnancy.

With all my Disney fascination, I found out that Walt Disney World actually have their own races!  From the Expedition Everest 5k to the Disney Princess Half Marathon, with plenty of other themed runs to try in between. 
Doesn't that sound amazing??  The adrenalin of the race, the excitement of Disney, all magnified 100% by the volume of people all around, exactly as hyped up and raring to go as you are!  Wow.  They even have an after party!
Just HOW MUCH do you think I want one of these?  Wrong, I want it more than that.

But alas, I have had to resign myself to the fact that this is just not going to happen.  This time at least...  Some day, maybe.
OOORRRRR - Lookie what I just found! http://www.distherapy.com/2013/03/is-disneyland-paris-dream-rundisney.html  Could it be?  Perhaps?  Maybe one day I could run Disney - Paris!  The plot - unlike my waistline - thickens...
At least I hope.  I need to shift this muffin top!

I have been doing runs (trying, anyway), lifting weights, squats, planks, sit ups, crunches and trying trying trying to cut some of the sweet stuff out of my diet.  I really do have a hopeless sweet tooth.

So January saw me doing this squat challenge with my friends:
So...much...squatting...
By the end I was borrrred, so switched to doing less squats but with added weights.


Then February meant the plank challenge:
Torture!  Torture I tell you!
I'm a little worried that with only four days to go the longest I have managed is 3:52.  But it's not my fault that February is short, so maybe I will tack on a couple of days - and then probably continue in to March because planks are really hard!
Stitch, I'm with ya dude.




A couple of weeks ago I worked out that if I lose 1lb per week, I will only be 1lb away from my target when we board that plane.  That sounds doable, right?  Only then of course at the very next weigh-in those numbers remained static.  Grr.

But having an achievable number does motivate me somewhat.  I am trying to be sensible, both with what I do not eat, and what I do allow myself, when I need it.  Yes, I am a comfort eater.  I know this is far from ideal, but I have recently come to accept that if a whacking big bar of chocolate stops me from slipping in to a pit of despair, then it's worth it.  I am overweight, but only *just*.  And my mental health is more important than my dress size.  Generally my diet is ok when it comes to meals - but snacks...  Uh oh!  I'm trying to limit myself to one unhealthy food a day - even that looks awful to me when I type it out, should it be one per week?!

And the running.  Yes back to that.  I'm still at the stage where I dread going out the door - but I'm always at the high on my way home!  Doing a 'Run Disney' race would be the ultimate motivator, if we were going at the right time of year to enter.
But would you look at this?
Coronado Springs Baby! My future home in the zone.
I'm going to do my very own Disney 5k!  It's now on my bucket list, so no escaping it!  I'd love a medal, but I'll have to settle for a pin on my lanyard instead.  For now...









No comments:

Post a Comment