Wednesday 11 September 2013

"I will hold you close (in a thankful heart)"

I'm a big fan of babywearing.  You might not know what this is, but let me tell you, it sounds a lot better than me saying I'm a fan of slinging babies.

Toddlerwearing at Disney
Babywearing is choosing to carry your baby, not only for practical purposes, but because you know that it is good for the little one to be kept close.  Since I discovered how many benefits it had and how much easier it could make my life, I didn't just carry my babies, I wore them.  I only wish I discovered good slings with my first two children!

But what does this have to do with Disney?
Well, with it being an interest of mine, and Disney being a passion, I thought I'd see what the Mouse makes of it - does he believe that keeping babies close is important?  He sure does!  In fact, it would seem that those babies who are not held close are far more likely to add to the Disney Orphan Epidemic!

Keep your baby close = don't lose your baby.


Squaw... Carry dat baby!

But do slings work with Disney World trips?  Sure they do!  I actually took five slings with me to WDW.
Sorry?  What, you didn't catch that?  I said five slings.  No, still?  Gah OK - I took FIVE SLINGS to Walt Disney World.  Yes, on our first ever trip out of the UK I felt the need to pack FIVE BABY SLINGS in our luggage.  
I was well prepared  ;-)
And yes, I brought a stroller too.

The heat - it's not nearly as much of an issue as you might think.  Yes you will sweat - but wont you anyway?  That's what showers are for right?  The sweat keeps you cool and actually, babywearing in a *good sling* (unfortunately this means those that you're unlikely to find in a store) means that your body can regulate your baby's temperature far better.  Yep, your body will go up or down by a couple of degrees according to what your baby needs.  Cool, huh?

It's also ace because lets face it - there is a LOT going on at Disney.  We're talking serious overload for many small people.  Over stimulation a-go-go.  Wearing your baby gives them the space required to hide away if they need to.  Whether that's hiding from crowds, fur characters, fireworks or just the sights - you're giving them sanctuary.

Good in crowds.  Good when pouring drinks on your knees.  As you do.  At Disney.



When we took our first trip to WDW my Sunshine boy Robin was 23 months old.  I carried him at the Magic Kingdom:
Check out the Emokid theme started here.
Happiest place on earth?

At Disney's Hollywood Studios:

Oh, hey there Minnie!  Cheer Rowan up will ya?


At the Animal Kingdom:

Clearly too emo to even BE in photographs - but you can just about see Sunboy.



And EVEN at Epcot:

What's this?  Almost not quite completely utterly miserable?
Best hide it - Look down look down!
...although I'm not entirely insane.  On our world showcase days we did bring the stroller too ;-)   Every Person Comes Out Tired, after all.


The Disney World transportation is fantastic.  Yeah yeah, people can moan all they want but I'm assuming all these people drive cars when at home.  Well let me tell you something - I live in LONDON, and in London it's almost pointless having a car.  We don't drive at all.  Charged if you go down the wrong roads, congestion everywhere and insurance through the roof!  But our public transport is quite good, and I can say that WDW has it good too.
*However*  You will want to minimise fuss as much as possible.  Strollers must be folded on WDW transportation.  Then when you get off you have to do the mad Quickly-Unfold-Get-Baby-In-Get-Him-Strapped-And-Run-For-The-Gates Rope-drop routine.  Yes, I'm serious.  In those minutes it takes to get the baby back in his stroller you can bet that everyone on that bus is now way ahead of you.  They're getting those Toy Story Mania fastpasses, or front of the line for Splash Mountain.  
Not to mention the hold up at the other end while you find somewhere to put the stroller, grab baby and head for a queue - but of course now you have to keep hold of him to stop him running off...  That's always fun.
This woman *seriously* needs a sling.  Or three.

Because of course when you have a few children, it helps to have at least one tied down while the others jump all over you.

Happy families, good times.  Kuzco approved.



Have I convinced you yet?

Well take a look at this Mickey baby carrier, or how about the one on the daddy here (fab Q&A on slings at DL too!) or this *gorgeous* Minnie Mouse sling I found on the disboards!  When you can step out in such fun style, why not?


If I know one thing for sure, it's that I'll be bringing our trustiest carriers with us to Disney World next year.  The only question is, which ones?  (and can I get away with buying a new custom Mickey one because I think I really NEEEED it)


Lets face it.  The coolest families in the world wear their babies.  I'm with Elastigirl on this one.  I'm a supermama.
Coolest.  Family.  EVER.








PS, "I Will Hold You Close in a Thankful Heart" is the song sung by Scrooge in the Muppets Christmas Carol.

No comments:

Post a Comment